My students were hankering after a fresh new project – me too, so after a swift scan of the internet we decided to have a go at a variation of the Dresden Plate block. It reminded my of a kaleidoscope, so that’s what I have called my version.
I wanted to make a big bold version of the block, but not too big a project. So I used 2.5 strips, cut from fat eighths from the new range, Lincoln Lane.
I cut them into 2.5 inch strips, and then sorted them into two groups of five, and then I started to stitch up a storm…This would be a good way to use up a jelly roll if you wanted to make a big quilt, I wanted only 3 blocks to make a bed runner.
Here I’m appliqueing the block using a blanket stitch on my machine…
When stitched all round, I like to cut the background fabric away from my block – carefully! I love these comfy large handled Clover scissors, which have a really sharp fine point ideal for getting into tricky corners.
Having hand-stitched the centre circle by hand, I flipped it over again and trimmed away the bulk. By doing this, it ensures that when you come to quilt it, the wadding will be able to loft up into the design making lovely textural contours.
The left over strips worked out just right to make two pointy ends to finish my bed runner.
Two lovely blocks side by side, my husband has just had a clip round the ear because he said would I like a cup of tea and could he fetch his darts…
Here we are, loads of work done, and the whole quilt top is pieced together, and up for a view on my design wall. I’m going to sign off here and go on a tacking adventure, it’s Sunday tomorrow and with a bit of luck, I can get it machine quilted and bound ready to show off to the students on Monday morning!
Just to make you jealous, on the menu for lunch, we’re having home-made curried parsnip soup, (I just sent the boy to go to the plots to dig me a fine basket of parsnips,) and to follow, pear and blackberry crumble and thick, yummy cream…
Looking forward to a lovely day at the Sunflower cabin!